Thursday, August 19, 2010

Orientation - Day 1

Oh so much to talk about while combating the exhaustion that follows a full day of lectures and information. I suppose I should start chronologically, because it has certainly been a full schedule.

I woke up this morning with the right side of my upper lip so swollen it covered that corner of my bottom lip completely. Without getting too graphic and grossing people out, I think it was a zit that I popped before it was quite ready. Of course with orientation starting today -- the first day I get to meet the rest of my class and start this new journey, I guess I just got a little antsy. Anyways, what response did this freshly independent 22-year-old law student have?

I did what any self-respecting independent person does - I called my mommy.

Long story short, the swelling is now down, and aside from a little scab that I wish would do away, my face no longer looks like I belong in a freakshow. Thanks to some fancy maneuvering with a hit towel and an ice cube, I don't think any of my classmates think I am a deformed, escaped circus-freak. At least not from my physical appearance, but we'll save that for another day.

Starting at 8:30 this morning, I sat in one lecture after another, mostly about what we can expect in law school. There were 2 lectures (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) that were actual classes, which I just finished a 73 page reading assignment for. "Introduction to Law," as it turns out, is apparently a boot camp to show us what an actual class will be like. It is the first day of orientation and this professor has no problem calling people out by name to explain the facts of the cases we read, some of which were from the 1800's and written in some bizarre English I wish we had a whole semester to learn how to read.

We also had a lecture on how to case brief. I know that everyone says it becomes second nature at some point in your law school career, but I have to say that these scare the crap out of me. I'm sure a post will come in the future where I rant about the evil that is case briefs, though they are apparently a necessary evil. Time will tell.

Tomorrow we have another Introduction to Law lecture, then I get to go on a tour of the Iowa State Court House, which will be really cool. More lectures in the afternoon, then a reception where I can mingle with more of my classmates. The ones I have met so far as really interesting! There are so many backgrounds and facts about people that fascinate me - this is going to be a lot of fun getting to know these people over the next 3 years. Let's hope they are as excited to meet me as I am to meet them!

More to come soon - my calendar is already starting to fill up as more of my syllabi trickle into my hands, so I'll probably set one night aside a week for Ginger Snap posts. That day will be determined in the next few weeks.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment