Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Preparing for the Dive

Well, I am moved in, have officially purchased all of my books, and am currently working on the reading we have due for orientation. I have to think that this is going to be a recurring feeling over the next three years, but I got to Drake University feeling rather prepared. The Admissions office e-mailed us a few weeks ago explaining that there was a reading assignment for Orientation, which is on Thursday, with a link to one case. No problem - I read the case while I was on vacation with plans to review it before orientation begins on Thursday. I felt ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, I went to the bookstore to pick up my last few books, only to discover that there is a 73 page packet that we have to read before Thursday. In the words of Karen, the woman that runs the bookstore, "if you don't do the reading, this professor will murder you." Scary.

Anyways, I am glad that I got here as early as I did, because this is a pretty dense packet we have to get through. Trying to read it in one night would be a lot worse than it already is. The first article is about why people distrust lawyers, and whether it is actually important to improve the image of the lawyer amongst laypeople. Very interesting stuff. Let's hope the cases towards the end are as interesting as this original article!

More about the apartment will come in another post. My new roommate just arrived earlier this afternoon, and she and her boyfriend are still in the process of unpacking. Once we have a chance to look at the apartment as a whole and get the things we are missing, I'll post some pictures of what my life at law school is going to be nice for the next 10 months.

Until then, if you have any advice for a new law student, I am more than willing to listen! I'll take whatever I can get!

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it's pretty irrelevant what the rest of us think of lawyers... we're pretty much stuck doing whatever you tell us to. Not that I'm bitter.

    =P

    And I'm glad to hear you're moved in! Good luck with the packet, and I'm looking forward to further updates!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete